15-25 years old – My faves
- REM – By far and away my favourite band as a teenager. Bought album after album. Had so many great songs over the years and i even enjoyed some of their later work like New Adventures in HI_FI and Accelerate. Automatic for the People is a near flawless album.
- Sheryl Crow – She used to be my favourite female artist with albums like Sheryl Crow and Tuesday Night Music club. To be honest though she does not make the same impression on me nowdays nor do i remember why i used to enjoy listening to her so much.
- U2 – U2 have so many wonderful tracks but not a single great album for me. I think my favourite album is POP closely followed by Achtung Baby. But if i had to think in terms of favourite songs i would go for some of their earlier ones.
- Nirvana – Nevermind for me is one of the greatest albums i own. I lent it to someone who never returned it and had to buy it again. No regrets. A flawless album.
- Xaris Alexiou – I fell in love with Charis during my first year at the university. Di’Euxwn was the first album i listened to. I was reading O Bios k Politeia tou Alexi Zorba while listening to her. I love that album, which like Nevermind, i consider to be a flawless album.
25-35 years old – My faves
- Johnny Cash – Oh he is great. I love his entire The American album series. He is one of the few artists i can listen to regardless of what i am doing and how i am feeling. Whether i am feeling down or excited. Whether i am driving or reading a book. Fucking love him!
- AC/DC – These guys are simply an awesome feel good hard rock band. I loved listening to them when i was cycling or playing games like Burnout! But a friendly warning, avoid them when you are doing some real driving. It’s easy to get carried away…
- Eminem – In my book Eminem is a genius when it comes to lyrics. Maybe it’s the racist in me that of all the excellent rappers/hip-hop singers out there my favourite is the white guy.
- Xaris Alexiou – I don’t listen to her so much in the past 4-5years but i consider the Di’Euxwn album one of the best albums in my collection. In fact she is the only artist who is in both lists.
- Dire Straits – This is a strange one. Although i adore their Best Of i don’t particularly like any of their individual albums. Very strange.
Current Listening Trends
I listen to most of my music through tunein, either on the iphone/ipod or the media player. The choice of songs and artists is usually far superior to what i would choose on my own. I find it’s the best way to be introduced to new music and artists without requiring significant time investment.