Tag Archives: music
A bit late but what the hell. My weekly highlights,
1. Birthday party at Prwtaras full of kids, of people my age. Weird, weird, weird. And then some.
2. Walking in on a dead 10-12cm centipede on a late afternoon at the Larnaca flat. Let me just say that i woke up twice during the night…….
3. Economic crisis is starting to bite. General Hospital will now only provide me with 1 months’ supply of medication instead of 2 like they used to. The pharmacist “No need to explain right? We understand why?”.
4. Playing Trajan at Ayioi Omologites
4. Melon for dinner…..mmmmmmmm
5. This Youtube mix
Have a great weekend y’all!
Streaming music is a difficult thing to have in Cyprus. Services like Spotify and Pandora are not available to us. Internet radio helps to an extent. I was using Tunein until about a week ago. Both on my media player but also on my phone/ipod. It’s ok, but quite limited on the kind of music you can listen to since you can’t really choose the artists. It’s just radio of a specific music genre.
But now i have discovered Jango. It’s a service, available in Cyprus, where you create your own stations based not only on the genre but more importantly the artists. Based on that initial choice of band the service will stream other similar artists in your station. For example, start with The Maccabees and it follows it up with more UK rock bands. You can give a thumbs up or down on a specific song and it will appear more frequently or less in that station. You can also skip songs and/or add more specific bands in each station,
The service is free but has commercials (not frequent) and also promotes unknown artists by asking you to rate them. I still have not seen everything that the service is offering nor limits with regards to the artists it has.
Possibly not as good as subscription based services but for us located in Cyprus who do not have that choice it’s fantastic. I love it. Highly recommend it for music. It’s available on PC, Android and iOS.
Jazz/blues – Kenny Burrell’s Midnight Blue album is brilliant!
I mostly listen to the same genre of music and artists on a daily basis. Rock, some country and hip/hop and that’s about it for the most part.
In the next 30 days i will be well outside my tastes and comfort zone. Using internet radio applications, either on the phone, Pc or media player, i will only be listening to different genres and world music.
The Different Music for 30 days challenge started yesterday morning with Classical on BBC Radio 3 and surprisingly, i loved it.