I am taking a break from blogging next week so there will be no posts until the 20th of August. Not even a quote!
It’s almost the middle of August (it is!) so here’s an update of how my summer reading is progressing so far.
A Game of Thrones (Book 1 of the A Song of Ice and Fire series)– I was disappointed with this book. It seems that the series is much better than i gave it credit for and it is the TV show which adds value to the books and not the other way around. I am still interested to read the remaining books in the series though but again by first watching the TV show and then reading the book.
- A Clash of Kings (Book 2) – Not read yet. I will do so later on in the year.
Ender’s Game, by Orson Scott Card– A fantastic book. I never expected it to be so good to be honest. It’s definitely one of the best and most approachable books i’ve read this year. I highly recommend it for this summer!
- What the dog saw by Malcolm Gladwell – I enjoyed Outliers very much so i had high hopes for this one. Although the author clearly states that this is basically a compilation of articles he wrote for the New Yorker i was still surprised by the incoherence of the book as a whole. Most of the subjects covered are not interesting at all, and when they are i did not find that the approach taken by Gladwell and the writing was particularly good. I’ve read half of it so far and i am debating on whether to continue.
- Black Lung Captain, by Christ Wooding – At 40% read, this is a hidden gem. It reminds me of Firefly, the TV show.
Destiny Quest – The Legion of Shadow –I lost interest in reading and playing this book in the first chapter. It’s basically one die roll after the other with a too thin of a story connecting these rolls. I am generalising but i am disappointed with the “choose your own adventure books” genre. It does not seem to work for adults.
If you are still looking for books to read over the rest of the summer here are some of my favourite beach reads:
- World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, by Max Brooks
- Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
- The Art of Racing In The Rain, by Garth Stein
- Ender’s Game, by Orson Scott Card
- Man and Boy, by Tony Parsons
- Fever Pitch, by Nick Hornby
- Air, by Geoff Ryman
Enjoy your reading and have a great summer!