Now this is more like it.
- Movies –Win Win story has been told many times. A troubled but talented kid finds shelter under a the loving care of a stranger. But this is one of the better ones capped by excellent performances by Paul Giamatti, Amy Ryan and also the teenager played by Alex Shaffler. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel has an all-star english cast but never rises more than just above average. But it was still an enjoyable watch. Certified Copy is the more difficult movie to judge and recommend. It’s very meta, as described by reviewers, and by me! Although the discussions which take place during the movie were not interesting i found the whole premise of the movie extremely intriguing. I can’t say more on that because it’s better to see this first person. A solid movie week!
- TV Series – I was a big fan of the Avatar: The Last Airbender series and i could not wait for the first season of The Legend of Korra. I am about half way through it and although it’s not as grabbing as Avatar it’s still good with some excellent fighting scenes. Very entertaining.
- Board games – We played Poseidon on Monday which is supposed to be a lighter version of the 18XX railroad/economic series. The guys had played it once before and their comments had not been positive so i approached it with quite low expectations. I was pleasantly surprised. The stock exchange part was a bit weak and there were too many calculations for my liking. But on the whole, the taking over nations, deciding on the merchants and whether or not to distribute income was interesting. I liked it.
Also played Zombie Dice (with 4) and enjoyed it. Brainless, quick little game and a good game to start or end the session. Finally, i played Code 777 which i considered one of the best family games i have even though i suck at it. One of the many things i have not yet figured out is what to do when i guess my tiles. Do i start a new sheet or not?????????
- Football – Football season has started after that brief respite from the Euro. I went and saw the APOEL Vs FK Senica Europa League match yesterday. I thought APOEL played well considering it was the first match of the season and should have scored more goals if the finishing wasn’t so bad. But i have to say, the experience of being at the stadium was marred by the extremely high temperature and humidity. Plus the chain smokers sitting next to me did not help.
- The board gaming weekend is finally here and although the hours and players (2!) are not as many as i would have liked, it’s still going to be a great opportunity for some of the longer 2 player games. The plan is for sessions of the following: Twilight Struggle, A Few Acres of Snow, Warhammer Invasion and Thunderstone so far.