As i mentioned in Monday’s In-Depth reading post i want to explore certain subjects and the first is the Rwanda Genocide which took place in 1994 when around 20% of the country’s population is estimated to have been killed within 100 days. Between 500,000 to 1,000,000 people.
I had read Shake Hands With the Devil a few years ago which was written by Romeo Dallaire. Dallaire was the Commander of the UN Assistance Mission for Rwanda at the time of the genocide. It’s a tremendous and disturbing book to read. My only other experience with Rwanda, was the film Hotel Rwanda. I am not just interested in what happened over those 100 days but in the aftermath of the genocide as well.
The reading list comprises of 4 books, 1 article and possibly a re-read of Shake Hands With the Devil . I am starting with We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families, by Philip Gourevitch.
– Shake Hands With The Devil, by Romeo Dallaire
– We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families, by Philip Gourevitch
– Machete Season: The Killers in Rwanda Speak, by Jean Hatzfeld
– A Thousand Hills: Rwanda’s Rebirth and The Man Who Dreamed it, by Stephen Kinzer
– As We Forgive: Stories of Reconciliation from Rwanda, by Catherine Claire Larson
– Bystanders to Genocide, by Samantha Power (Atlantic article)